Sunday, August 23, 2009

Volleyball and Hamburgers



So I remember now why I went so long without writing anything new for the blog. As a single guy sometimes it is hard to find things worth making the rest of the world aware of. Without children, or even a spouse, to add spice life runs its busy course without as many adventures. So now I am searching for a theme for the blog. I have thought about writing about politics and current events, but then I might alienate a couple of sisters who feel very differently than I do about most of those things, then I thought maybe I could do a cooking blog and choose one new recipe each week and write about my experiences with it, but that is kind of a lot of work, but I am sure you will see a few such posts in the future. So if you want a vote in what kind of material shows up on my blog let me know!

For the time being I will simply high lite my day yesterday. It was pretty fantastic, Adam, one of my roommates, and I have played in a couple of Men's doubles volleyball tournaments this summer. We are not really great but we have a lot of fun playing. Also we are very out of practice, pretty much the only time either of us play volleyball now is every 6 or so week when we sign up for another tournament. So we usually do not do very well. I think the first tournament we did not win a single game. They way the tournaments are set up they break you into pools of 4-6 teams and they have you play each team in your pool for two games, at the end they take the two teams with the most wins in each pool and form a tournament bracket. Since we rarely win we have never made it to the tournament at the end. But we get a t-shirt (most of the time, seems recently tourneys are getting cheap) and have a a great Saturday morning out in the sun and by 1:30 or so we are done and able to go home. Well, yesterday Adam and I had a chance to make it out of our pool and into the final tournament. We won 50% of our games, but there was one team that was undefeated and one other team that won 50% so we had to play them to see which team would make it in. By this time, about 1 oclock, we had been at the park since 9 am and it was a hundred and two degrees outside and no shade. We were tired. My legs just do not last long enough. We won the play in game but by the time we got to the first game in the tournament neither Adam nor I had any energy left. We no longer tried to get balls that were outside our immediate reach. It was kind of pathetic really, we still won some points on serve receive and had some good hits, but eventually the other team kind of ran away with it. SO after one game in the tourney we were out, but we did make it to the tourney, which was our main goal anyway. And now, Sunday morning I am almost wishing we didn't. That last game must have been just a little too much and now my legs are in full rebellion, they want nothing to do with getting out of bed and cleaning around the house or even walking out to the mailbox. I am guessing it will take a few days to bring them back around but it was a great day so I guess it was worth it, but I am going to need some conditioning before we have a chance of winning a game in the tournament. The other great part was afterwords we went to Five Guys to celebrate our make shift victory, the burger was very tasty if you guys are ever near one I suggest giving it a try.

3 comments:

Rahni said...

Tell me about it--I just peppered with some girls from my ward Friday night (granted, they're very talented varsity volleyball Bartlett players) and boy were my arms sore on Saturday! I'm impressed, though, and a bit jealous of your organized team fun. Careful of that heatstroke, Alaska Boy.

gw said...

Welcome back! Sounds like the tourney was a good time, and in my opinion there is little more satisfying than hashed muscles for a few days after high activity. It reminds you you're alive!

As far as topics, I think controversial topics are more fun to read, skip the cooking and go straight to why you love Obamanomics so much!

Angelina said...

oh yes. i would be thrilled to hear all about how much he loves obamanomics :)